Maddie's Books

Hello there. I like to read. And I'll add more later, haha.

Just Take My Heart - Mary Higgins Clark Just Take My Heart is the first book by Mary Higgins Clark that I've read. It's actually one of the few courtroom dramas that I've read, as well (I'm usually more into what happens before the trial rather than during). My overall impression of the book was that it was good, but not the best thing I've ever read. I'll definitely pick up more books by the author, because she does tell a good story and seems to be a good writer, but I think I'll go for some of her older works and make my way forward.

Anyway, the plot is pretty simple. I enjoyed reading the book, but had a few issues with it. First, some parts were a little slow. I was never exactly bored, but I kind of wished the pace had picked up some, especially at the beginning. Secondly, I thought the whole idea of the heart transplant was kind of weird. It was so obvious from the beginning who the heart was from that there was really no point in going on and on about it. Also, I just couldn't see much of it's importance to the plot. Sure, Emily Wallace had a heart transplant, and while that definitely affected her life, it was the sort of thing that could have only been mentioned once or twice and been fine. And I'm not even sure if it was PLAUSIBLE that she could have received the heart in the first place, considering it's original owner was shot NEAR IT and bled to death.

Aside from those things, however, I didn't see too much else wrong with this novel. Emily Wallace was a good character- very likable and easy to relate to. Also, unlike some of the other reviewers, I did not pick out the murderer from the beginning. I figured it out two seconds before Emily did, really. Although, I wasn't trying very hard to look for the person. Since there were so few characters, if I had thought about it for a while, I may have guessed earlier. All in all, Just Take My Heart was a decent read. It was an easy read and entertained me while i was reading it. If you like Mary Higgins Clark or are a fan of mysteries/courtroom novels, I'd recommend you read it. It's not amazing, but you could definitely read worse stories than this.